Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Updated Knife Block

I saw Tiffany's post yesterday on DIY Club and got a wild hair to do the same thing to my yucky, old knife block. It's only been staring at me for the last 7 years (at least). It's not pretty in the least - and I was planning to just buy a new one.

(Sorry for the poor "before" photo - I didn't take a pic of the knife block before transforming it - I was too excited! So this is the best I could do. It's that wooden thing to the right of the stove.)

But inspiration stuck after seeing how pretty it could be with a little spray paint. Voila!


So much better... very much matches my new kitchen. I used Valspar's black spray paint in satin finish. It's honestly a little too glossy for me, but I still like it better than the old wooden knife block.

Before painting it, I sanded it down on all sides with some sandpaper I found in hubby's toolbox. It was very grungy - who knew it would be so dirty just sitting on the counter all these years? Yuck. After sanding, it looked so much better already, but I was set on painting it by then.

This was the first time I'd tried to use spray paint. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be. I did get a couple of spots where the paint sorta dripped, but not enough for anyone but me to notice.


All-in-all, I love it completely. Thanks Tiffany for the inspiration!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...