Friday, January 17, 2014

Frugal Finds for Practical Scrappers

I have a fun project to share today as part of the Frugal Finds feature at Practical Scrappers. This month's theme was book pages, and the designers have lots of great ideas about how to use book pages on your crafty projects.

For my project, I decided to keep using up my January kit and create some handmade paper snowflakes, just like the ones we used to make when we were kids.

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

Aren't they pretty? I love the texture these book page elements bring to my page. And, really, they're super simple to make:
  1. To start, punch a circle from your book page. (I used a 2 1/2" circle punch.) 
  2. Fold the circle in half, and then in half again, and then one more time (or more if you can manage it).
  3. Use your sharpest scissors to cut little notches out of the edges of the folded circle.

Book page snowflakes -- www.mightycrafty.me

  1. Unfold, and voila, a lovely snowflake. Pretty soon, you'll have a little pile of them...

Book page snowflakes -- www.mightycrafty.me

  1. Then, just use your mists and glitter glue to give them sparkle and shine...

Mists and glitters for book page snowflakes -- www.mightycrafty.me

To add them to my page, I lined them up and sewed them down, cutting a few in half to let them float right off the page.

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

The papers and stickers on this layout are all from the Winter Wishes collection by Echo Park, except for the white woodgrain background which is from TPC Studios. I used my Kiwi Lane Designer Templates to create the vertical layered border (Chestnut Drive 1A and 2B). I also added a strip of icy blue polka dot washi tape as another border layer.

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

I love how this layout turned out. Those book page snowflakes are one of my most favorite things I've made so far this year (okay, it's on January, but still!). And these photos are precious to me -- we still have that sled and my boys are 10 years old! This was one of the first times they were out in the snow.

Winter Wishes layout for Practical Scrappers -- www.mightycrafty.me

I hope I've inspired you to try using a frugal find on your crafty projects -- book pages can be made into almost anything, and they add such great texture to your projects. Be sure to head over to Practical Scrappers to see lots of other ways to use book pages...

Until next time,
Stay crafty!
Lissa :)


1 comment:

  1. This is so lovely Lissa and your snowflakes are amazing! I often forget the humble book pages but they do look great when ever I see them on some one else's design! Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...