Friday, February 21, 2014

How To: Cookie Cutter Background

Hello all! I'm here today to share a quick tutorial for making your own unique background papers. This is part of the Frugal Finds feature this month for Practical Scrappers. I love this monthly challenge -- to use something you probably have around the house to create something beautiful for your scrapbooks or home.

This month, our theme was cookie cutters. There are so many things you can do with cookie cutters -- I decided to use a star cookie cutter to create this beautiful and unique background paper:

Cookie cutter glittered background -- Christmas Eve -- www.MightyCrafty.me

Creating this background is super easy, even if it is a bit messy. :) Glitter does tend to get everywhere, but it's a small price to pay, right?
  1. To get started, choose your cookie cutter, background paper, glitter, and an acrylic paint that will match your glitter. That's right -- instead of using glue or tape to hold the glitter, we're going to use acrylic paint.
  2. Make a small pool of your acrylic paint, then dip your cookie cutter into the paint, covering all the sides. A small paintbrush can help get the paint onto your cookie cutter.

    Paint and cookie cutters -- www.MightyCrafty.me

  3. Stamp your image. This can take some finagling and practice, depending on your cookie cutter. And it won't be perfect -- but that's part of the charm.
  4. Sprinkle the paint-stamped image with glitter, then shake off the excess.

    Glitter and cookie cutters -- www.MightyCrafty.me

  5. Admire your work. :)

    Glitter and cookie cutters -- www.MightyCrafty.me
Super easy! Now, just repeat the design across your background paper. I love how it turned out -- just the right amount of glitter with a shabby chic look.

Cookie cutter glittered background paper -- www.MightyCrafty.me

With this paper as my background, I put the rest of my layout together, using papers from Webster's Pages and bits and pieces from my stash. I also cut out the Christmas title with my Silhouette Cameo, using a word from this cut file set from Miss Kate Cuttables.

Cookie cutter glittered background -- Christmas Eve -- www.MightyCrafty.me

Cookie cutter glittered background -- Christmas Eve -- www.MightyCrafty.me

I encourage you to try this technique -- it's fun and easy, and I love that it uses items you probably have at home. If you create something with cookie cutters, be sure to link it up over at Practical Scrappers. We would love to see your projects.

Until next time,

Stay crafty!
Lissa :)


1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this technique you came up with! The layout turned out great! Love it :)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...