Thursday, May 29, 2014

Scrap Space Organizing: Paper Scraps

Paper scraps. Not the most glamorous topic. But problematic for scrapbookers, for sure.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who hoards paper scraps. (What if I need that little 1/4" strip of cardstock for something?!) I have cut down on my paper scraps, first of all, by instituting a rule: if it's not large enough to punch a 1" shape out of, it gets tossed. Unless it's a 12" strip -- then I keep it if it's 1/2" wide or more. Easy enough.

And yet, I have SO many paper scraps. I have tried lots of different "organizing" methods, from complex (a box or bag for each color, stored in a binder) to simple (one big 'ole box). But with my latest scrap space re-organizing, I'm somewhere in between.

I have these IKEA cabinets that fit under my scrap table. The drawers aren't large enough for 12x12 paper, but they are great for storing scraps.

How to store paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

I am now storing my scraps in color families: warm colors in the first drawer (red, pink, orange, and yellow), cool colors in the second drawer (green, blue, and purple), and neutrals in the third drawer (white, cream, brown, black, and gray).

How to store paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

How to store paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

How to store paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

This system works great for me, because I'm usually looking for a specific color. Now, I like to go to my scraps first when I'm cutting with my Silhouette Cameo or using my manual die cutter. Plus it's handy for making cards and coordinating papers that you wouldn't normally put together.

I feel like I'm making the best use of my scraps. A great feeling! And when my drawers are getting too full, I make a point to create a layout or card entirely out of scraps, like these:

Layout made from paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

Layout made from paper scraps -- www.MightyCrafty.me

What do you do to store your scraps?

Stay crafty!
Lissa :)

6 comments:

  1. Yeah for scraps!! :) I store mine in drawers like this too but I don't seperate by color family. I like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works great! Totally good for grabbing when creating layouts.

      Delete
  2. Awesome info! Thanks for sharing! You need to dig into your drawers and complete my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I might just do that. :)

      Delete
  3. Great sharing tips! I have a large expand file folder with my scraps in color order but it is OVERFLOWING. I love these drawers from Ikea and may just have to invest in them. Do you know the height of the drawers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three bottom drawers are 4.5" inches tall and the two top drawers are 2" tall. Again, not wide enough for 12x12 papers, but great for organizing everything else. They originally held my table top in place, but I ended up getting the white storage cubes from Michael's and stacking them up to hold my table top. The IKEA drawers are just about 1.25" too short to hold the table top now, but they sit in place under the table just fine. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...